People like surprises, especially on their birthdays. So along with a gift or a nice card, say happy birthday in a new, Funny ways to say happy birthday !Of course, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t sing the happy birthday song at all; you totally should for sake of keeping tradition alive. Just try adding something a little extra, some pizzazz, a little bit of umph.Here are a few tips to jumpstart your brain cells for thinking of funny ways to say happy birthday:
Funny ways to say happy birthday make someone smile
- “Happy birthday” parody: This is the traditional song but with some crazy, awesome twist. Whether you decide to replace words with other words that rhyme, or choose to keep the tune and ditch the normal lyrics all together, have fun with it.
Create a phrase: Simply saying “happy birthday” is nothing short of boring. Find other creative and amusing ways of delivering the same message.
Wear a costume: If you have access to costumes, have at it! This makes things amusing and even more memorable!
Toss some confetti: This is bound to make someone feel extra special, just don’t get it in their eyes!
Know your crowd: This means being careful about the “whos” and the “hows,” as you don’t want to offend anyone on their special day!
So now that you have a few ideas to get you started, read through these alternate ways of saying happy birthday wishes to help give you a few more ideas. You may use these if you want, but it’s best to come up with something that is exclusive to you!
Chances are, if they are your friend, you know them well: Their sense of humor, their limits, their diseases… yeah, so again, know your crowd. Here is a few funny ways to say happy birthday to friends; some of these may be suitable for others you know as well! Trigger warning: some of these are pretty raunchy.
- “Happy day of birth!”
- “Happy day you came out of your mom’s vagina!”
- “Ermahgerd! Herppy Berfday!”
- “Happy fetus eviction day!”
- Sing “happy birthday, Mr. President” while dressed up like Marilyn Monroe. (Particularly funny if you’re a guy singing this to another guy.)
When it comes to saying happy birthday to children, common sense should tell you to keep it clean!
Find a way to impersonate their favorite TV character and sing them the happy birthday song. You might not find it very funny, but everyone else–including the birthday boy or girl–will find it funny, and that’s what matters!
- “Appyhay Irthdaybay!” (Pig Latin. Sing the whole song in Pig Latin if you dare!)
- “Birthday Happy, I mean, happy birthday to you!”
- “How old are you again? 21? 22?”
- “Time for your birthday tickles!”
- “(Insert age here) years ago today, the coolest kid I know was born! Happy birthday!”
To Significant Other
There are many ways to say happy birthday to your significant other without actually saying it, but we are going to keep this clean. Just don’t forget to pass the bottle of liquor or wine, oh, and don’t forget to say “cheers!”
- “Time for your birthday spankings!” (Crack a whip or leather belt on a nearby table)
- “Bottoms up, birthday (boy/girl/expletive)! I was talking about the glass…”
- “The only hill you’ll be over, is my beer gut!”
- “Happy ‘over the hill’ day!”
- “I don’t know how you made it over any hill with gravity pulling everything else down!”
Siblings share a special kind of relationship and only you know your siblings limits as you’ve likely pushed them many times in the past. Nostalgia goes a long way here.
- “Time for your birthday punches!”
- “Dogpile on the birthday boy/girl!” (Tackle victim and convince others to pile up on top!)
- Give a wet willy and say “because of you, I’m not an only child!”
- “Happy birthday, but I’m still the favorite!”
- “Birthday bear hug!” (Hug and squeeze while making them count up to their age.)
You should typically be sweet and sentimental to your parents on their birthdays, but as with any group of people, there are exceptions. If your parents have great sense of humor, then they’ll likely enjoy hearing your funny ways to say happy birthday.
- “Happy birthday! I’m your karma!”
- “Happy birthday! Your gift is me admitting you were always right!”
- “Happy birthday, mom/dad! I was a gift to you, it’s called ‘my’ birthday!”
- “Happy birthday! The only thing getting old is that phrase!”
- “Happy belated birthday, sorry I was (insert age here) years late!”
Saying “Happy Birthday”
Whether you decide to make up your own creative way of saying happy birthday, or use one of ours from the list above, it will give the impression to the birthday boy or girl that you actually took more time than what is typically expected to think of them on their big day, and that is sure to make anyone’s birthday, a happy one, indeed!
Wise and Funny Wishes For A Happy Birthday
1) “I eat cake because it’s somebody’s birthday somewhere.” – Unknown
What we think: Sometimes you have to go ahead and spoil yourself. Even if that means creating an occasion. So go ahead and endulge.
2) ”The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate” – Oprah Winfrey
What we think: The more you realize how special your life is, the more you can appreciate it and give it meaning.
3) “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
What we think: You’re only as old as you feel.
What we think: Age is nothing but a number.
5) “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” – Robert Frost
What we think: Men of the world, don’t let this rule escape you.
6) “We are always the same age inside” – Gertrude Stein
What we think: We can be as young as we want to be for as long as we want.
What we think: Use every birthday as an opportunity to learn and grow.
8) “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wings of time” – Jean Paul Richter
What we think: Our many birthdays help to create the greater picture that is our lives.
9) “He not busy being born is busy dying.” – Bob Dylan
What we think: Start getting busy.
On Being Funny and Adding:
10) “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
What we think: We can agree with the first two.
On Forgetting A Birthday:
11) “The best way to remember your wife’s birthday is to forget it once.” – E. Joseph Cossman
What we think: Truer words have never been spoken. Don’t let your significant other down.
12) “My policy on cake is pro having it and pro eating it” – Boris Johnson
What we think: Yay for cake!
13) “When someone asks if you’d like cake or pie, why not say you want cake and pie?” – Lisa Loeb
What we think: Who says you can’t have it all?
14) “You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake. It’s like, ‘See if you can blow this out’.” – Jerry Seinfeld
What we think: That many candles can become a fire hazard.
15) “Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake.” – Edward Morykwas
What we think: We can’t argue with nature.
On new beginnings:
16) “Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new.” – Sammy Hagar
What we think: What better time than a birthday to do or start something you’ve always wanted to. Treat your birthday as your own personal New Year’s.
17) “We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be.” – Lauren Hutton.
What we think: We like to embrace our wrinkles. They give us more character.
18) “Gray hair is God’s graffiti.” – Bill Cosby
What we think: Embrace the beauty of aging gracefully.
On staying young:
19) “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.” – Lucille Ball
What we think: As much as we embrace our wrinkles, we will probably not tell you our age either.
What we think: Keep that youthful feeling alive and keep your eyes open to the beauty that surrounds you in this world.
21) “A friend never defends a husband who gets his wife and electric skillet for her birthday.” – Erma Bombeck
What we think: Think very carefully of what kind of message you want to send with any gift, birthday or otherwise.
22) “To give somebody your time is the biggest gift you can give.” – Franka Potente
What we think: Unless the gift is a car. Or a house. Or a boat. But in all seriousness your time is more precious to those who care about you.
23) “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – Les Brown
What we think: Every year is another opportunity to learn a new skill, start a new hobby and grow. Don’t waste it.
On avoiding birthdays:
24) “There is still no cure for the common birthday.” – John Glenn
What we think: No one’s found the fountain of youth yet? Our science-y friends need to put their minds together on this one.
On remembering birthdays:
25) “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
What we think: This one is a beauty. Embrace the beauty of aging. Life is all about perspective.
26) “The best way to remember your wife’s birthday is to forget it once.” – E. Joseph Cossman
What we think: Or write it down. We suggest writing it down.
27) “It is lovely, when I forgot all birthdays, including my own, to find that somebody remembers me.” – Ellen Glasgow
What we think: This is very sweet. We never hold it against anyone who forgets a birthday (because our memories aren’t the greatest either), but it is always nice when someone remembers.
28) “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
What we think: Make everyday count.
On Youth and Aging:
29) “The secret to eternal youth is arrested development.” – Alice Roosevelt Longworth
What we think: You are as young as feel. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
30) “The way I see it, you should live everyday like it’s your birthday.” – Paris Hilton
What we think: Not sure if I’d want to grow a year older every day, but the days would be happy and celebratory.
Funniest Happy Birthday Wishes to Share a Smile
1. “Two older men sit on a park bench. One says, “Joe, I’m 84 years old, and I have nothing but aches and pains. How do you feel?” Joe says, “I feel like a newborn babe!” “Really, a newborn babe?” “Yes! I have no teeth, no hair, and I think I might’ve wet my pants!” Happy birthday!”
2. “Listen, I hate to be the one to do this, but you need to get your birthday habit under control. It’s been scientifically proven that too many birthdays will, in fact, kill you. So give it a rest will you?”
3. “Happy birthday! Want to feel young and thin again? Let’s go hang out with a bunch of old and fat people.”
4. “Happy birthday! You know you’re getting old when you never walk past a bathroom without saying “well, I’m here already – I may as well pee.””
5. “You know what they say: it’s better to be over the hill than buried 6 feet underneath it. Happy birthday!”
6. “On your birthday I’m going to share the secret to staying young: lying about your age.”
7. “Smile – today is your birthday. Be happy and remember that things could be worse. Just think about what you’ll be like in ten years – yikes!”
8. “Happy birthday! Congrats on joining the 28-years-old-forever club. We have millions of members all over the world.”
9. “Congratulations on finally reaching the snapdragon phase of your life: one part of you has snapped, and the other part of you is dragging. Happy birthday!”
10. “Happy birthday! They say that age is just a number. Yea right – and jail is just a room!”
11. “Don’t be bummed about your birthday! You know what they say: it’s better to be a year older than to be one month late. Happy birthday!”
12. “Happy birthday! Today, I would advise you to be nice to your kids. Remember, the older you get, the closer you get to having them choose a nursing home.”
13. “Wait – you’re how old today? You’re so lucky you’re not a dog. They would have put you down by now. Oh, well! Happy birthday!”
14. “Congratulations! You only look one year older than you did on your last birthday.”
15. “Happy birthday! May you live to be so old, people start wondering if you’re the walking dead.”
16. “Here’s to you on your birthday! May you live to be so old, you sincerely wish you were dead.”
17. “Happy birthday! Don’t let a 27-year old Olympic gold medal winner make you feel like a failure on your birthday.”
18. “Happy birthday. I’m so sorry you’ve reached an age where pop culture marketers are no longer targeting you.”
19. “It’s a special day – your birthday! Let’s go out and celebrate you being one year closer to removing your age from your Facebook profile.”
20. “Happy birthday! Congrats on reaching an age that makes your receding hairline seem appropriate.”
21. “Forgetting your birthday was merely an April Fool’s Joke. Unless, of course, I did remember it, in which case – please disregard this message. Happy birthday!”
22. “I wish you a very happy birthday! Just please remember to tell me how old you’re pretending to be, so we can keep up the charade.”
23. “Happy birthday to a person whose age now makes them cry even more than the day they came into this world.”
24. “Happy birthday to someone who is now taking drugs on their birthday for serious medical reasons.”
25. “I’m so sorry for sending you belated birthday wishes. Honestly, I didn’t think you would live this long. Happy birthday!”
26. “Happy birthday! I sincerely hope that you don’t take this early birthday message as a sign that you might not make it.”
27. “On your birthday, remember this: age is only a number that represents how attractive, happy and able-bodied you are. Really, it’s nothing to get worked up over. Happy birthday!”
28. “Wishes may come and go, but age always sticks with you. Happy birthday!”
29. “I believe you forgot my birthday present last year. I’m returning the favor this year. I’m afraid a Happy Birthday is all you’re going to get.”
30. “Happy summer birthday! Get out and enjoy it while you’re still young enough to not fall into the “high risk” category for heat stroke death.”
31. “Happy birthday! You’re how old? Oh man – that’s like, dead in dog years.”
32. “I would be so much more into your birthday if it were my birthday.”
33. “You know, I would be a whole lot more excited about you turning one year older if I was in your will. Happy birthday!”
34. “Happy birthday! Let’s celebrate the anniversary of your clever escape from the womb.”
35. “As you get older, there are three important things that happen. First, you lose your mind. I can’t remember the other two. Happy birthday!”
36. “Happy birthday! Remember this today: if you lick all the frosting off a cupcake, it becomes a muffin – and muffins are healthy.”
37. “Happy birthday! After seeing all the candles on your cake, I seriously hope that you topped off your fire insurance.”
38. “Happy birthday to the one person I hope is still around when the iPhone 547 comes out.”
39. “A “few” years ago, you were smart, handsome and young. Today, you’re just an old fart. Happy birthday!”
40. “Happy birthday! May the number of candles outnumber your gray hairs.”
41. “Wishing a happy birthday to someone who should probably start worrying about what the government is saying about Medicare.”
42. “I know you received so many birthday wishes yesterday, but who’s here with you today? That’s right! Me.”
43. “Congratulations on being born a really long time ago.”
44. “You know, they say that age is really all in the mind. The key is to prevent it from trickling down into your body. Happy birthday!”
45. “Experts say that people lose their minds when they get old. What they forget to mention is that you really won’t miss it. Happy birthday!”
46. “Happy birthday! You know you’re old when the candles start costing more than the cake.”
47. “On your birthday, I want you to remember that you are only as old as you feel. But you’ll still always be older than me. Happy birthday!”
48. “Happy birthday. It’s official – you can now begin your quarter-life crisis.”
49. “It’s your birthday today, and I’m once again reminded how old I’m getting. Oh well – enjoy your day!”
50. “Today, you turn 29! I promise to stop counting the years after this one. Happy birthday.”